Sunday, May 21, 2006

i don't wanna change your world, i only wanna stop pretending

Summer is officially begun it seems. I went out Wednesday to say goodbye to a cute foriegn guy. I love foreigners. Maybe it is because I grew up not knowing a word my grandfather said with his flemish accent, but I love trying to piece together a conversation. It is one of the rare times I am very patient as well, since I know that I would not be capable of speaking many of their languages and they are brave enough to try mine. And succeed.

One of my favorite stories is with my friend Genevieve. We were sitting out on the veranda one day playing cards. She was the asshole (that's the name of the game!) yet again and I mentioned how everyone shuffles the deck differently. Didn't I get the strangest look! She was slightly confused as to how someone could possibly shuffle the deck of a house, not knowing of course that the word has multiple meanings and one of them was a deck of cards!

So, just the other night I am innocently dancing with this cute foriegn guy and I notice that the song lyrics sound spanish. I ponder aloud, as I usually do, what it could possibly mean. Only when I hear his response of "I just like to dance" do I realize that he mistook what I said for a questioning of something between us! I almost fell over laughing. Then I kissed him on both cheeks. Ah, the fun. How lucky we are that laughter is universal!

5 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger lu said...

i love that lyric, what is it from?!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Joy said...

The song is Crucial by K-OS. Very catchy. That's sorta why it was my title.. and it's great.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Tim Gormley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Tim Gormley said...

Little bit of a deviation from topic on my part. I always enjoyed speaking with my friend Johanna. She was from Germany and in addition to her native language, she spoke english and french. Her choice of words would always be just different enough that I had to re-learn how to listen to people. It honestly made the quality of my conversations with everyone that much deeper.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger lu said...

i wish i was a better listener, i think it is such a rare skill and one we could all improve upon. so true about talking to someone with a different first language though, makes you perk up a little and pay more attention.

sort of the same when talking to someone from the east coast for us westerners!

only kidding, i LOVE your accents!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home